Monday, April 18, 2011

Response #2: Evan Williams

  1. What are your take-aways from this video? This video was important to me because I am a Twitter user. I love using the program online and it is convenient when I want to stalk the people who i look up to (not in any creepy way whatsoever....). Since I am a dancer, it is good to look at the Twitter accounts of choreographers who i like to see what they are working on. I definitely didn't know the history of Twitter and how small it started out. It was surprising to me that so many government workers, and even the president got a Twitter account shortly after it was founded.
  2. What are the speaker's effective speaking techniques? The speaker lacks in good speaking techniques because he doesn't interact with the audience much. Compared to Sir Ken Robinson's speech, I think Robinson's speaking style is better because of his laid back, joking nature which can keep the audience's attention much longer than a monotonous speech can. 
  3. What is his/her presentation style? He uses many pictures of example tweets. Some make the audience laugh, but that's the only time during the speech that they do laugh. He has a monotonous tone and is very blunt in his pace. He knew his speech very well and didn't have to look at anything to "cheat" off of in case he forgot the words. I admired that because getting up in front of such a large audience might have frozen me up.
  4. What matters from this video? How does it connect to you personally? To education? To the world? This video really matters. Since this speech in 2009, Twitter has soared to major heights in users and tweets. Evan Williams really made me want to be more involved in updating my tweets to let my followers know important things that happen in my life. It relates to me because I use Twitter and know many people who do and frequently tweet. I realize better now how useful it can be sometimes to know what people are doing at the moment. This educates us of what others are doing and anything else others need to know. It also makes everybody who uses Twitter up to date with what's going on in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment