Monday, May 2, 2011

Response #6: Dave Eggers

  1. What are your take-aways from this video? This is the best TED talk I have seen yet because how engaged the speaker is. I took away a lot from this video. I learned that I should be more involved with helping other schools, mostly lower class or white minority schools with language. I learned that I should bring pictures to my presentation because that was one of the most significant influences on the audience because, then, they can have a visual of what the speaker is talking about. He is sort of spastic when he talks because he talks really fast and throws out ideas, but they all relate to his point. I learned how amazing it can be for children to be in an intimate, supportive, and yet fun learning environment. 
  2. What are the speaker's effective speaking techniques? He uses very effective speaking techniques. My favorite is that he makes the audience laugh. I heavily stress the importance of comic relief during TED talks because it is one of the most important things that one can do to keep the audience's focus. It makes the speaker appeal to the audience and refreshes their brain while at the same time somehow affirming the information they have received. He does talk fast, which threw me off and I found myself reading the script instead of watching the video because he was talking too fast at fast than I could process.
  3. What is his/her presentation style? He presentation style is too very effective mainly because of the media he brings with him to his presentation. I found it the major reason that I took in and visualized his speech because he used pictures to illustrate his sentences. He spoke loud and articulated most of his pronunciation. Again, he talks pretty fast and some people might have needed a recap of the information before he went on with more information. He is easy when talking and comes casually to match the audience's attire and attitude. I know that I will present in a casual manner because it is an effective technique for inviting the audience in to try your idea presented because they believe that if someone as casual as you can, they can too.
  4. What matters from this video? How does it connect to you personally? To education? To the world? This video is significant because it marks the start of a new era of learning intimacy outside of the classroom. It is amazing how kids can leave their suspicions or judgements outside and just go into such a loving environment and learn because it's their choice to do so. I really wish I had that opportunity as a child. I think it's funny how the shop is also a pirate store. It surprised me that kids didn't go in at first because my first thoughts were, "Pirate paraphernalia must really appeal to the kids!" It is beneficial how more and more of these type of tutoring centers that are interactive with kids' wants are popping up all over the country. It is especially clever how the Super-hero store was opened. The idea like the cape fitting platform and the vow at checkout spark interest in the kids and parents. This matters to the world the most because it is obviously changing the lives of people who experience it. It educates kids for the better and gives them a passion and a focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment